RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: Eric M. Carroll
  • Date: Fri Jun 30 05:49:31 2000

Randy,

You have hint the nail on the proverbial head.

While I have limited experience in PGP infrastructure, I have spent a great
deal of time with X.500 & X509 infrastructure (sympathy appreciated).

One of the toughest service side nuts to crack is the resource location
issue: where is my X server? Where is the X server for user Y? We all know
this. The intensitity of papers & standards activity in this space bears
this out.

Each time someone invents an X service, they feel compelled to invent a
namespace, a hierachical delegation system (perhaps), and some kind of root
system that knows everything about everyone.

Then the challenge becomes to bootstrap the world into using this system.
Anyone remember the projects to bootstrap X.500 directory service on the
Internet? I do, I used to work nearby a country X.500 root server. Anyone
use X.500 today for directory service? No. Anyone use LDAP? Sure. Can anyone
find LDAP servers for user Y in domain Z? Ummm...

The Internet has been uniquely successful in introducing a namespace, a
hierarchical delegation system, and a root system. We use this system to
locate many services. One common one is email service. We use it
ubiquitously. Noone argues about the "EMail Service Resource Location
Protocol". We use the DNS. End of discussion. Other examples exist, such as
http. Each has a slightly different way to interface to the DNS, but at
least they are defined.

The key service folk (PGP and anyone IETF-izing the X509 world, and the
IPSEC folk for that matter) would be doing a Huge Service to Humanity if
they simply *defined* the manner in which key servers will find each other
using the DNS. Then, and only then, you can say with confidence that IF this
domain has a key server THEN it is the case it is registered this way in the
DNS. A new property can be asserted with confidence, and I can definatively
attempt to locate a given service server for a given domain, and expect it
to know something about [email protected]

It appears to be the recent SRV records help tremendously in this matter.

This appears (strongly) to be a nail-like problem, and we have a hammer in
hand. I know this is naive, but we have working, scaling, *ubiquitous*
examples that we all use. So, in this case, what is the issue with swinging?

My suggestion is the IETF & IESG should insist that server to server
location should be defined in the protocol spec, and not depend on a new
registration & delegation system unless significant technical merit warrants
something completely different. The developer community should Just Do It
That Way. The PGP community could show leadership in this area.

Sometimes, the better idea locally is not the better idea globally.

Regards,

Eric Carroll