Re: public key service

  • From: L. Sassaman
  • Date: Mon Jun 26 17:06:21 2000

FYI, certserver.pgp.com, keys.pgp.com, keyserver.pgp.com, pgpkeys.mit.edu,
and keys.nai.com are all the same server (208.228.228.80), listening on
port 11371 (HTTP) and 389 (LDAP) and 689 (LDAPS).

If one doesn't work, the rest of the above probably won't either.

The server I tend to use in cases when keyserver.pgp.com is not
functioning properly is horowitz.surfnet.nl:11371. It also listens to LDAP
on 11370 and LDAPS on 11369.

pgp.ai.mit.edu is BAL's server, home of the original PGP keyserver. It
isn't as zippy as the other two, but has a decent uptime ratio. It only
listens on 11371, and you can't do the advanced LDAP queries that you can
do with the other servers.

www.keyserver.net has a cool web interface for searching for keys, but it
sometimes takes a little work to find a server that is up and responding
in a timely fashion. This network group uses Highware's
OpenKeyserver. There is no LDAP support.

I don't use pgp.net, so I can't comment one way or another on that group
of servers. I believe they are mainly using the older pksd software by
Marc Horowitz.

Theoretically, all the servers syncronize with each other and there is no
difference in the data contained on them. However, the server that tends
to have the most up to date data is keyserver.pgp.com. Second to that is
horowitz.surfnet.nl.

If you want more info on the keyserver network, you should check out the
keyserver mailing list. There is subscription info at
http://www.highware.com/main-oks.html (it's the list hosted at flame.org).

- --Len.

__

L. Sassaman

System Administrator                |  "Everything looks bad
Technology Consultant               |   if you remember it."
icq.. 10735603                      |
pgp.. finger://ns.quickie.net/rabbi |        --Homer Simpson