Re: exchange point media (was: Re: MAE-EAST Moving? ...)

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 10:14:02 2000

> i have been suggesting a DACS for many years.  then all one needs is one
> channelized oc48 and it's fat city.

As passive DWDM becomes dirt cheap, having a loop carrying to a
redundant optical (wavelength) cross-connect has advantages, like
you can bilaterally upgrade your peering line cards without having
to bother to inform / be bothered by the exchange point (remember
MAE-ATM). I can't see why people would want to put in less than
an OC-3. n x OC-3 + passive DWDM is (I believe) cheaper than OC-48
channelized (per bit per second) for many values of n (i.e. spreading
the DWDM cost across many OC-x's.) - & this will last until
n x parallel OC-192 is insufficient for bilateral cross connect. By
the time anyone listens to your (good) DACS idea, 2.4Gbps (total)
won't be enough.

--
Alex Bligh
VP Core Network, Concentric Network Corporation