Re: BGP FIltering via IRR

  • From: cengiz
  • Date: Fri May 19 16:08:27 2000

I suppose this is an issue of level of automation desired.  The more
expects of the policy configuration you let RtConfig handle, the more
helpful it is. The more routers there are to configure, the more
helpful it is, since the task is per AS as opposed to per router. As
one provider once said, it rationalizes policies... It is being used
by many ISPs, and is a mature technology.

I understand that the level of policies that need to be published is
viewed to be too much by some ISPs. We put hooks so that not all have
to be made public anymore (some can come from privately held
objects). We also made it easier for folks to generate just "prefix
lists" from IRR and nothing else. For this, many either use RtConfig's
"access_list" command (as opposed to import/export) or wrote their
wrappers around peval.

Apart from this, I would like to hear your feedback on RtConfig so
that we can use it to improve it, perhaps in a private email.

Jason Lixfeld ([email protected]) on May 15:

> Morning, world :)
>
> Over the last little while I've brought up an IRR server and have installed
> into it, and updated all of our information which was previously stored in
> other IRRs (BTW:  Thanx to everyone who replied with human contacts for the
> CW and ANS irrs).
>
> Everything is up to date and ready to go.  Now I can start on the config
> generation part of the process.  I started looking into @RtConfig but am not
> too happy with it.  I've heard that others have found the same thing and
> have fabricated their own ways of extracting information from the IRRs and
> inserting them into their routers.  I'm wondering if people could share any
> of these with me so I can work on creating my own tool.
>
> TiA.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Jason A. Lixfeld
> Senior Network Engineer
> Look Communications Inc. (V.LKC)
> --

Cengiz

--
Cengiz Alaettinoglu           Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/~cengiz    University of Southern California