CIDR Report

  • From: pjnesser
  • Date: Sat May 13 03:55:24 2000

I was just looking through the graphs on Tony's Web site and noticed
something somewhat disturbing.  For the first 2000 days of Tony's plots
(starting from 1/1/1994) the number of routes has grown roughly by 10,000
every 500 days.  so 20k --> 30k, 30k --> 40k, 40k --> 50k, & 50k --> 60k.

But if you look at the last 250 days or so you see that the table has
grown by more than 16k routes.  So we are seeing growth at 300% of what we
saw for the last 5 plus years.  It also looks annoyingly geometric or
perhaps exponential, instead of the nice linear growth since CIDR was
introduced.

Take a look at:  http://www.employees.org/~tbates/cidr.hist.plot.html

Just eyeballing it since I am too tired to actually plot the number right
now it looks like we could hit 100k routes by the end of the year or early
next year.

To the $64,000^h^h^h^h^h^h $10,000,000 (you gotta change with the times
:-) questions are why?  anyone care to guess when it starts to become a
problem and with what widely deployed boxes first? is there anything we
can do about it?

Have a good weekend.

--->  Phil