Re: Re: external access and passwd mgmt (was Re: SSH on Cisco ...)

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Mon May 01 17:24:30 2000

A lengthy discussion of why wouldn't be on topic here in NANOG, but it's a
basic principle of computer security that if your password is so long that
you must write it down to remember it, it is by definition too long.

It is better to have a less-"secure" password that is not written down
anywhere.

If you must write a password down somewhere, it should be in a safe-deposit
box that nobody has access to, so that it can only be recovered after your
death.

If you must write a password down electronically, it should encrypted,
which makes it no better than the password of the encrypted database, so
passwords should just plain flat never be so long that you have to write
them down.

The Gnu Keyring exists so that:

1) We can keep track of more passwords as securely as possible.

2) We can keep track of too-long passwords assigned to us by well-meaning
folks.

3) We can keep track of long non-password numbers without having to haul
around dangerous things like credit cards.  :-)

If you worked for me, I'd ask you to destroy that piece of paper and not do
it again.