Re: Peering Table Question

  • From: I Am Not An Isp
  • Date: Wed Apr 19 19:39:41 2000

At 01:02 PM 4/19/00 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

>> is a network tier one if they have settlement based peering?
>
>no. because the folk they pay are not really PEERS, are they.

Sure they are, or at least can be.

AS1 used to claim that they wanted "settlement based peering" from people, and they said they would be 100% fair about it. If you peered with AS1 and had more than a 2:1 delta (to AS1 : from AS1), you paid $XXX per (something). If AS1 sent you more than double what you sent them, THEY would pay YOU.

Now, are you going to tell me that AS1 is a "customer" of some network simply because they send that network more traffic?

Besides, who really cares who is a customer of whom. All that matters is "how fast do my packets get there (and back), how many get dropped along the way, and how wide is the pipe", or "latency, bandwidth, and packet loss".

Anything else is marketing, and best left off an OPERATIONAL mailing list.

>randy

TTFN,
patrick

--