independent publication (was Re: DSUA)

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Thu Mar 30 10:51:59 2000

The IESG has become severely politicized these days, and has some
serious internal problems.

They've even rejected Bradner and my DES retirement BCP, although
virtually every IETF working group from PPP to SAAG recommended it.
We're planning on asking the RFC Editor for publication as
Informational, instead.  Presumably Manning can go that route, too.

My "IKE/ISAKMP Considered Harmful" was the only draft ever summarily
removed from the internet-drafts FTP site, because it is critical
of the IESG.  It was published by Usenix ;login: in December.

There are some pretty good starts on operational web sites, linked to
by the NANOG page.  It would be helpful to be more active in maintaining
(actively organizing) the links.  What formalities do we need to have
such a thing come to fruition?

Do we really need a formal paper (hardcopy) publication?

Joshua Goodall wrote:

> it's directly quoted in the FreeBSD /etc/rc.firewall, so at the least,
> maybe an independent publication would suffice?
>
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Its been tanked in the IESG twice. I've no particular expectations
> > that it will survive another round. It won't go BCP, ever.

[email protected]