DDoS/PPark (was: Re: government eavesdropping)

  • From: Ville
  • Date: Fri Feb 25 05:44:44 2000

[ Lengthy, but it's not like I'd bother you daily. ,-) ]

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 [email protected] wrote:

> Smurf came along in what, 1996?  And www.pulltheplug.com and www.netscan.org
> both are finding enough networks STILL vulnerable that they find it
> interesting to tabulate.

Indeed.

Though, smurf seems to be becoming too old-fashioned for people
to bother using it anymore.  At least here the  greater problem
is with DDoS,  because no clear rulesets  can be established to
prevent it to the degree necessary as is obvious.

I'm betting DDoS will become even  more of a headache when IPv6
gains wider usage and simultaneously as taking advantage of the
v4 smurf-amplifiers just won't do the job anymore.

Kids seem to  be finding  their way to IPv6,  just as well,  as
days pass.  For a while it seemed  like a puzzling  security by
obscurity thing when  I transferred a bunch of my hosts to IPv6
only. Admittedly the tcp/ip-stack still wants a v4 IP, but that
I have under 192.168.x and plays by itself no great risk.

It was a setback of a kind for the people  trying to pester the
box,  they would mostly  have to stick  to the  easily modified
tools that do not exploit any direct problems with the protocol,
instead  they just go for  exhausting  the CPU by  bugging  the
services running on the box.

That is - if they manage to get IPv6 set up for themselves.

I'm very much  thinking it's a good  time for  people  to begin
looking at IPv6  and its basics if all haven't done it yet.  It
would be a shame if the bad guys had been on  the road with the
protocol for longer than some of us.  ,)

Also, there's  still time for a little  thinking on how  things
are to be done with no need to rush, time to let things evolve.

> [...pulltheplug...]

> under 200 replies.  And the guy hasn't started on arin/ripe/apnic
> allocated space yet.

I may be  missing something  obvious,  but I was actually under
the impression the scanning was already all complete until they
go for a rerun later. Everything down to /26's have been mapped,
as far as I recall.

> If ISPs and users had clues, we wouldn't have as big a potential
> DDoS problem.  Oh, and this just in:

Notably users.

I'm currently  trying to deal with PPark (PrettyPark, a Windows
virus|trojan).  It automatically spreads itself  via e-mail and
keeps gaining more and more infections by the day. It is nasty.

It wouldn't be much of my cake, but the virus unfortunately has
been  set  to  connect to one of the  servers  I administer  to
receive  attack-coordinates  and  all that  (the server refuses
them  right after  they have  been  succesfully  identified  on
connect).

Doesn't  sound quite nasty?  It is - just to put  people on the
scale,  we   have  _ninety-thousand_   unique   hosts   rapidly
connecting to our server and practically  bringing the server's
accessibility down to its knees.

If 90 000 of  them opening a connection a server can do that, I
must wonder  what is their practical  efficiency if people were
to ever  have control  over  them  and use  them for  malicious
purposes.

Some weeks ago,  I did a compilation  of ISPs/TLDs  involved. I,
however, stripped the hostnames out to protect the innocent and
to stop people from misusing that information.

Brief stats are available at

	http://www.vip.fi/~viha/Stats/PPark_ISP.txt and
	http://www.vip.fi/~viha/Stats/PPark_TLD.txt

These are Windows-hosts, not running any virus-detection by the
looks of it. Some quotes might include --

% cat PPark_ISP.txt | egrep -i "\\.(gov|mil|int)"|head -3
	  10 navy.mil
	   4 nih.gov
	   4 army.mil

% cat PPark_ISP.txt | head -3
	4389 aol.com
	4172 hinet.net
	1732 com.sg

Oh, before you suggest routing them to null - be warned we have
tried a few things. We were quite lucky,  and most of them only
showed a quick way to a table overflow.

As for  contacting  antiviral-companies,  the one  we  were  in
contact with didn't show much but the compulsory 'I see.'

--
	IPv6 Solutions | Security Coordination

	Ville([email protected], "Cryptlink Networking");