Re: government eavesdropping

  • From: Brian Wallingford
  • Date: Thu Feb 24 23:06:48 2000

: > So what is the real story here?  Is all, most, some of our
: > international Internet traffic being intercepted by various
: > governments?  Is it only international traffic that is at issue or is
: > domestic traffic within the US subject to routine eavesdropping
: > without a court order?
: >
: The US government has had listening devices at the MAEs/NAPs for years.
: They have also patented techniques for sorting and classifying
: conversations, which appear to be applicable to Internet traffic.
:
: As for other governments, haven't you heard Moscowitz's Chrysler story?
:
:
: > Have I been misleading people?
: >
: While Merit has done an admirable job internally of organizing its
: networks, so that customer traffic doesn't pass by client machines
: and would be difficult to monitor, other ISPs and companies are not
: so diligent.

Specifically, what have Merit, and presumably yourself done that any
reasonably clued ISP hasn't?  Aside from responsible subneting, and
standard non-intrusive filtering, what can be done?  It seems to me that
beyond that, the burden of safeguarding data falls on the end-user.

-brian