Re: What would you tell the White House?

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Mon Feb 14 14:38:14 2000

> > First, to get the feds to DO Something when there is an actual, live
> > person doing this type of stuff.  Figuring out the source of the current
> > hacks is probably going to be a big project.   Why not devote resources to
> > going after those people that we've already tracked down?
>
> this is a very good point.  a lot of the more adept people have
> backdoors on hundreds, if not thousands, of machines all over.  the fbi
> may have thought you're problem was one lone little insignificant
> person but what is very likely is that was one instance of many more
> systems the same person has hit.

This has improved markedly over the last few years (particularly as a
result of ISP security people with inside contacts in the FBI
educating them about these events), however getting law enforcement to
care about computer crimes is still an uphill battle. Depending on who
you talk to, you can get immediate all out response or it can sit long
enough that there is no chance of getting anything done. I think that
perhaps the best thing to bring to washington is the need for
education of law enforcement. Not just special divisions but to give
at least some idea to everyone.

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Immagine Your    ]
[email protected]                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer