Re: Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Travis Pugh
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 16:25:06 2000

I don't know how much cooperation is expected between Tier 1s and
their dedicated line customers ... last time I was working on an OC48
backbone we had no problem helping customers who were being used
as bounce sites for smurfs.

Cooperation between backbones may not happen, but it is really an NSP's
job (if customer service is anywhere in their philosophy) to help their
customers out ... if the attack is causing disruption on the compromised
network, any NOC worth it's salt should be able to aid their customer with
ACLs and technical assistance.

-travis