RE: SERVER NAMES

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Wed Feb 02 18:07:14 2000

I can only say what we use here, at MHSC.

One group I haven't seen here yet are birds, crossed with type of use and
sub-domain. Condors are always main development machines, Ravens are data
servers, falcons are support/noc hosts, hawks are intranet *DCs, peregrin's
are management machines, owls are QA servers and source repositories, etc.

All workstations are DHCP'd so names need not be man-readable and follow
conventions like wksta1.dhcp.mhsc.com, with SMB names that are also the uuid
names of their assigned user.