Re: IS-IS reference

  • From: Dave Cooper
  • Date: Tue Sep 14 15:02:55 1999

Ok, first - i wouldn't use cisco.com to learn how to build
a backbone.  Otherwise, if you buy a Juniper you'll have a
coronary. And conceptually, the Halabi book works for the
most part, but there are some differences in how most
backbones apply those concepts and how they are presented there.

Second - read responses below.

Alex P. Rudnev wrote:

> I wonder what are you talking about? How to buil ISP back-bone?
> Open
> www.cisco.com, read BGP topic, and do just as 99% of IS do - IGP f-r the
> inter-router routing, IBGP for the customer's networks, 'network' +
> 'static -> Null' on the edges to generate your own aggregates...

Ok... maybe I didn't specify in detail.. although Randy may ding me
again for being redundant.  sorry randy.

1. if you are going to scale a large national backbone, limit as much
as you can in your IGP. the less fluctation in flooding protocols, the
better.  and since most backbones run on a single area (on the main
IGP process) or level-2 only, then fluctuations cause headaches for
all participating routers. this is especially so when you have a
full layer-2 mesh or a full MPLS mesh.

2. if you read what i stated below.... it says, use IBGP for
statics and connecteds.... then aggregate when possible.
Sorry if this is too vague.. but i am referring to all other
connections/statics that are not backbone. my use of
the word aggregate did not mean use the aggregate command
in Cisco's bgp, it meant aggregate to a larger netblock (/30's -> /24)
and yes... you use the static->null route to inject it into the
table and then redistribute into BGP:

	router bgp xxx
	redist static route-map [tag communities and filter]
	redist connected route-map [tag communities and filter] *
		* connected is optional if you can get all
		  your connecteds into larger aggregates. then
		  they are injected statically.

3. hmm... 99% of the larger backbones do all intra-AS routing using
the IGP.... i think i saw this thread get beaten to death a few months
or a year ago.  this is arguable.

> The only problem is the absense of the good config tools for the routers
> with the object library (through new commercial CISCO tools looks not too
> bad, but are very expansive...).

even those aren't ready.

> And the second difference is how to use 'communities' to control bgp
> advertisements - for example, add 'PEERING', 'CUSTOMER', 'BACK-UP'
> communities and use them.

thanks... I will remember that.

> Very stable, widely used, well debugged schema.
>
> The hellish things are:
>
> 1) 'aggregate' word - use static routing to 'null' everywhere you can
> instead;

see above

> 2) 'redistribution' from/to IGP - prevent it. Really, the any TO/FROM bgp
> redistribution (except may be static/connected in some cases) is the bad
> thing;

even redistributing static/connected into IGP will increase the IGP's
workload by introducing additional routes, thereby, exhausting more cycles.
again... let IBGP handle that.

> 3) full IBGP mesh - use reflectors instead.

agree 100%

> 4) STATIC routing (except the customer's links).

agree 100%