Re: Government scrutiny is headed our way

  • From: Dean Robb
  • Date: Wed Jun 17 12:54:07 1998

At 14:52 6/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> I think that the approach here is to find the executive level people to
>> whom those people report, and explain to _them_ that if they don't get
>> their houses in order, the government is likely to do it for them.
>
>That's not my (or your) job.  If they're not on notice by now, they deserve
>what they get.  Frankly, I hope that the government does their job for them
>due to the simple fact that I'm getting tired of taking defensive postures
>on this thing.

It's my (probably forlorn) hope that the proposed Internet Board (or
whatever they'll call the registry board proposed in the White Paper) will
have some enforcement authority

					OR

An "Internet Governing Board" would be created that would have the
authority to say "You are not playing nice...no connectivity to the rest of
the 'Net for you until you get your stuff together".

I see a sort of informal court setup that one could complain to about
offensive networks AFTER attempts to deal with the network itself have
failed.  The IGB would then have the authority to verify the problem and
the lack of resolution and order the offender be cut off at the NSP, or
blackholed at the NAPs, or whatever appropriate, until they solve their
problem.

Think what a nicer place the 'Net would be if there were an agency that
could FORCE those who refuse to cooperate in our grand cooperative venture
to play nice or not play at all.

What do spammers and nails have in common?  They're both intended for
hammering.

Dean Robb
PC-Easy
On-site computer services