Re: SMURF amplifier block list

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Tue Apr 14 20:33:13 1998

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Are we really concerned about being smurfed by a /30, or even a /27?

You should be.  If I didn't have directed broadcasts turned off on my
network, it would be a very effective smurf amplifier.  Because ARIN keeps
us on a very short leash, we use the smallest subnet we can get away with
for our POPs.  Some such sites are very well connected.

As far as .0 and .255 addresses go, I'm no more "asking for trouble" by
using those than I'm asking for trouble by running an IRC server.  They
are completely valid addresses.  Perhaps those making such comments are
better at getting IP space than we are, but we need to squeeze every IP we
possibly can into use just to provide enough addresses to our customers.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Chief Network Engineer  MindSpring Enterprises, Inc   [email protected]
Mosher's Law of Software Engineering:  Don't worry if it doesn't work
right.  If everything did, you'd be out of a job.