Re: SMURF amplifier block list - READ THIS

  • From: Joe Provo - Network Architect
  • Date: Tue Apr 14 20:37:45 1998

[snip]
> What we were talking about was forbidding external connections to the
> class-C broadcast addresses on a net, and why that useful process made
> addressing hosts on .255 boundaries A Bad Idea.

You misspelled "useless process".  I also think you dropped the final
phrase "if you want to talk to my network."

[many previous posts in previous discussion on the topic omitted here.
see the archives.]

Assuming someone else's topology is stupid; we have dynamic protocols
to tell our gear things for good reason.  you want a dynamic process?
get your head out of the cisco rut:
  use your rbl-like bgp sessions between gated boxen that then
  squirt the updates into ACLs.
  feed these ACLs into your configuration update method (if you
  have one).

That one was free.

Cheers,
Joe