Re: [nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sat Jan 24 15:43:08 1998

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> > Anyone claiming they can deliver T1 speeds for $30-40 a month is lying given
> > the current state of interconnection expense across real distances.  Quest
> > and others laying fiber will not lower these costs by 95%, which is
> > PRECISELY what has to happen to hit those targets.
>
> Save your breath, Karl; I've been banging this drum for _months_ now,
> or more, in a half dozen venues, and no one's getting it.

Let's use the oh-so-lovely information superhighway metaphor for a moment.
Imagine a city street with lovely homes on it, large lots, beautiful
flower gardens in front, children laughing and playing. Now imagine the
specifications for this street and for the driveways coming off it. Those
zoning rules and engineering plans say that the street and the driveways
must be engineered to handle a full size semi truck. The street needs to
be wide enough and straight enough to accomodate such trucks and the
driveways have to be wide enough that such a truck can turn into them.

But wait, what's that sign at the end of the street!? NO TRUCKS! Horrors,
there is a legal case here of mammoth proportions. When a street is
designed to handle truck traffic then there must be an implicit promise
that trucks can drive there. Who cares if the residents are annoyed by
truck traffic. They have no choice in the matter, they are mere
homeowners, not designers and builders of *ROADS*!!!

There are no simple answers to any of the network problems posed by the
widespread deployment of ADSL, but one thing is sure. The solutions will
not all come from the domain of network engineering.

http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]