Re: NAT etc. (was: Spam Control Considered Harmful)

  • From: Yakov Rekhter
  • Date: Mon Nov 03 14:37:05 1997

Jay,

> On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 01:49:13PM -0500, Sean M. Doran wrote:
> > One of the ways to make it and renumbering seamless is to
> > understand that IP addresses are subject to change over
> > time and topological distance.
>
> Wel, yes... <sigh>, but as I've noted before, that's an assumption that
> the current design of the Internet does _not_ require.

Quoting RFC2101 ("IPv4 Address Behavior Today") Section 4.2:

      To summarize, since the development and deployment of DHCP and
      PPP, and since it is expected that renumbering is likely to become
      a common event, IP address significance has indeed been changed.
      Spatial uniqueness should be the same, so addresses are still
      effective locators. Temporal uniqueness is no longer assured. It
      may be quite short, possibly shorter than a TCP connection time.

Yakov.