Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Sat Nov 01 14:48:10 1997

Peter Galbavy <[email protected]> writes:

While I agree that a good technical goal is to have
a pair like (wonderland.demon.co.uk, www) map to the http
daemon on Peter's box, and continuously push to make that
a reality, the appropriate way of doing this is to
consider the pair to be an endpoint address which maps to
different numbers that change relative to time and
topology.

That is, with some enhancements to the DNS and deployment
of evolving NAT technology, how Demon allocates addresses
locally will be Demon's business, and what those addresses
look like here likely will be different.  (Ignoring the
fact that it could be redirected to a cache --:) )
MOreover, if Peter changes his location in the Internet
the numbers will be different again, but the pair above
will continue to map to his http daemon.

> Security based on IP address.

Here I disagree, not only for the obvious reason that
forgery is easy, but also because basing anything on IP
address that does not involve looking back up through the
DNS (which is also not yet safe) is incompatible with NAT.

Addresses change over time and over space.

> I reiterate. It is not a waste. What is a waste is people like
> Interop having an entire class A, like PSInet having a class A,
> like MIT ... fill in the blanks. They just got their first, but I
> cannot see anyone rushing to return them.

Right.  I want to NAT them.  Anything bounded by NATs can
use whatever address allocation scheme it likes, even to
the extent of using the same IP addresses in use elsewhere
in the concatenated Internet.

	Sean.