Re: [NOOP] 24x7 NOC..

  • From: Barry Caplin
  • Date: Fri Oct 03 10:16:05 1997

Hi,
>   We're in the process of developing a 24x7 NOC, and can agree upon about
> everything except scheduling.
   I asked this question to the list a couple of months ago.  I've been
manager of a new NOC for about 6 weeks now.

> - M-F 9-hour shifts, Sa-Su 2x12-hour shifts
>   - Downside is the Sa-Su people are just "extras".
   This is basically what I went with.  To integrate in the weekend people
I have them do some half shifts during the week.
   I also have two of the people that willing to be a bit flexible on
short notice.  I have a two level on-call setup for problems that need
extra help.  Also, the more expert people can dial or ssh in as needed.
   Burnout can be a very real problem and I haven't come to that yet.
I have hired a mix of experienced and inexperienced (college age) folks.  I
fully expect that people may either burnout or gain great experience and
get better jobs, but that's always a risk.  It could happen to me too!

   Barry

   Barry Caplin                       People's Choice TV
   Network Operations Center Manager  work: [email protected]
                                      home: [email protected]
 PGP fingerprint =  9F E9 5C B6 A2 AD 85 AE  1E 4D 11 0B C2 85 60 93
 finger [email protected] for PGP public key