Re: Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Fri Jul 25 22:31:21 1997

In honor of Ms. Hubbards pontification, I am starting a little archive:

mailto:[email protected]

This archive will be for people to send me (so we don't clog up NANOG)
Totally Clueless Allocation Policies of providers.  So all you consultants,
send me your examples of hosed allocation policies from providers, large
and small.  You don't have to name your clients, but please do name the
providers.  I will summarize and forward to Kim and anyone else who cares
at the end of two weeks and maybe we'll get an idea of who allocates
correctly and who doesn't  I'll start off with two examples:

1)

Billion dollar company.  MCI is their upstream.  5 divisions on one campus.
 Each has a mailgate, proxy, webserver, and router.  Total need per
division:  4 addresses.  Total allocation: 5 x /24 .  % Used: 1.6  % Waste:
98.4  MCI's response when we said take em back:  "Why?"

2)

Small office.  PSI DDR LAN solution.  1 office, 2 PC's, one router.  Total
need:  3  Total Allocation: 1 x /24.  % Used: 1.18%  % Waste: 98.82  PSI's
response when he said "All I need is a /29":  "This is the way we do it.
It's just easier for us."

BTW Kim, I've gotten 4 responses in two hours on how to nail down all your
addresses so a ping sweep shows them in use.  Might just be a LITTLE more
prevalent than ya'll think, eh?

use.  Then follow your own guidelines and maybe the startups won't bitch so
much...

You can bet when people start paying for addresses there gonna be pretty
pissed when they aren't fully routable.

Anyone care for the summary in two weeks?  Mail me privately.

Eric

At 04:24 PM 7/25/97 -0400, Kim Hubbard wrote:

>> I'm beginning to think there is a market for a device which has 1 Ethernet
>> port and responds to any RANGE of addresses, so you can scam Internic into
>> thinking you have 100% utilization of your address space, right off the
bat...

>Yeah, because the conservation of IP space only helps InterNIC - it doesn't
>help you or your customers or anyone else on the Internet.  Let's just
>use up all the address space....that'll teach the InterNIC!
>
>Kim
>

>> Eric

====
Eric Germann				Computer and Communications Technologies
[email protected]			Van Wert, OH 45891
					Phone:	419 968 2640
http://www.cctec.com			Fax:	419 968 2641

Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider