Re: What have you done for me lately?

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Wed May 21 02:19:30 1997

Foreword: If you don't like any of the follow suggestions or existing
documents, why don't you use some of your boundless energy to write some
code or documentation to improve them.

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> For everyone bitching about the S/N on Nanog, I have a few questions:
> - Where's the "Official Nanog IGPs for Dummies" book?

For EGPs, Avi Freedman and Dave Siegel have both written tutorials for BGP
that are available on the web.  Their efforts are exemplary.

By IGP, I am assuming you are talking about designing with OSPF and static
routing (and not RIP, IS/IS, or IGRP).  Why don't you write a tutorial for
OSPF?  You can look at "http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/1.html"; as
one existing example.

> - How about the virtual-RADB-workshop software for Windows and Linux, so
>   college students and waiters at cybercafe's can start practicing the
>   registering of their route objects?

Good suggestion.  Work with the RADB people.  Have you bothered to join
the rs-discuss list?

> - "OpenIOS", the IOS clone for Unix that lets people practice router
>   configuration and monitoring w/o shelling out $1k for a 2501?

If you want an existing freely available BGP router daemon use
"http://www.gated.org";.  However, an IOS clone would be cool.  Feel free
to write it.

> - Where's the official Nanog "Reccommended Practices" archive,
>   encapsulating years of hard-won wisdom on the part of NANOs?

http://compute.merit.edu/help.html
	"Recommendations for Internet Routing"

http://dranet.dra.com/draft-donelan-rnmg-latest.txt
	"Responsible Network Management Guidelines"

> Where are the mailing lists for these Nanog-sanctioned projects so I can
> spend my evenings helping out instead of flaming lusers like Hurst on
> Nanog?

NANOG-sanctioned?  You haven't given me the secret handshake or the pass
phrase so I can't tell you.  Ahh, don't you remember on the night of your
initiation receiving a handbook?

NANOG is informal, and absent much of the useless fees and hierarchy of
other organizations.  Work done by volunteers which produces results
receives the respect and recognition of others.

A rule that might help you was one we used at a research and development
facility I once worked at:  Never mention a problem without also
mentioning possible solutions.

> Does anyone give a shit about training the next generation of network
> operators, or maybe increasing the clue factor of the present one?

Most of us do.

> Or
> does my flaming Fleming wannabe's on Nanog reflect the generally cynical
> attitude among members towards Nanog in general?

Don't waste your time, don't waste our time.  Go read the NANOG archives
starting 24 months ago.  We get to see this discussion over and over and
over again.  Not convinced and need a real dose?  Go read the inet-access
archives starting 2 years ago, and just read threads with a post by Jim
Flemming in them.

Do something constructive.  Write code, write documentation, do research,
and solve a customer's problem.

Mike.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric      Web Hosting & Co-location        Fax 408 971 3340 |
| [email protected]                                           http://www.he.net |