Re: NEWDOM: Re: offtopic for NANOG - do not read

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat Apr 26 15:58:29 1997

On Sat, Apr 26, 1997 at 12:49:50PM -0400, Carl Oppedahl wrote:
> At 01:46 PM 04/26/97 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> >I'd like you to point out the major corporations and public universities who
> >will do this.  I'd also like you to immediately return that nice root server
> >that NSI has paid for in part or whole, if you really believe this.
>
> NSI has never paid for anything.  NSI has doled out money collected by it
> from NSF and from domain name owners.  NSF (i.e. the US taxpayers) and the
> COM, NET etc. domain name owners have paid for whatever it is you think NSI
> has paid for.

So who covers the deficiency Carl?

You?

Oh, I get it.  The risk capital that NSI put into the development of the
systems, the people they have paid, and the infrastrucutre they have built
all were just manufactured out of the ether.

Your point was true up until September 1995.  Its not any more, and that's
the problem.  The Internet community REFUSED to address the issue then, and
now they don't like the consequences.

Oh well.

> >Anyone trying to take "COM" and point it somewhere else will find that they
> >have created a class-action lawsuit with 1,000,000 plaintiffs -- all the
> >people who you instantly disconnect that have COM domains.
>
> Wrong.  Nothing is going to get disconnected at such time as the roots get
> redirected to NSI's successor.  That successor will have available to it
> the COM (and NET, etc.) database and there will be no interruption in service.

Really?  I don't believe NSI agrees with you.  I certainly don't.

> Someone is going to be the successor to NSI in administering COM when NSI's
> contract runs out.  Whoever that is, NSI is obligated to hand over the
> database to them.  NSI was granted a five-year contract with a known
> expiration date.  NSI knew that when it signed the contract.  Someone was
> administering COM before NSI's contract began, and whoever that was, they
> handed over the COM database to NSI when that contract began.  Someone will
> be administering COM after NSI's contract ends, and NSI will (indeed, must)
> hand over the database to that successor.
>
> >Anyone trying to STEAL NSI's COM zone (to appropriate it as their own) will
> >likely find themselves on the wrong end of a monstrous lawsuit, not to
> >mention potential felony theft charges.
>
> NSI doesn't own that.  It is owned by its authors, namely the domain name
> owners who filled in their domain name registration and update templates.

True until September 1995. False today.

Thank the ISOC for its failure to act in 1995 for where we are now.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal