Re: "Which Internet?"

  • From: Dimitri Krinos
  • Date: Tue Apr 22 13:27:01 1997

Mr Seastrom,

How many times have you seen people on the NANOG list publicly condemn notes
such as yours that are taken to the NANOG list before being taken through
proper network operations channels?  I really get tired of listening to
these sorts of notes when they involve other providers so I would appreciate
if you have a response to this message, that you take it up with me (or our
NOC) offline instead of involving the whole NANOG community.

Regarding the incident you complain about, first of all, you called the
wrong number.  Advantis has many other networks to support besides our
Internet service.  You talked to someone in first line support who was
trying to help you get to the NOC that manages our Internet service.  I
don't know all the specifics of your conversation with this person, but from
the tone of your note, I suspect you may have had something to do with the
argument since you didn't understand that we do in fact have several inter
networks to support.   In the future, try [email protected] and you will get to
the bottom of the problem.

Secondly, we brought up peering *yesterday* with your upstream provider and
a typo was made in the configuration which resulted in your getting the
extra routes.  This situation was promptly fixed once it really got to the
NOC.  Why you seem to have the need to publicly criticize our network with
false statements such as 'this condition has persisted for several months'
is beyond me.  In the future, you may want to try being a bit more patient.

Sincerely,

Dimitri Krinos
Network Architecture
IBM Global Services