Re: VitalSigns: Event Report: (Server, Slow or failed connection, red) (fwd)

  • From: Kent W. England
  • Date: Wed Apr 16 16:20:59 1997

At 02:45 PM 15-04-97 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Robert Bowman wrote:
>
>> This product is unbelievable.  I am putting in my requisition to triple
>> my support staffing now so we can deal with the onslaught of people
>> using a product that provides less than desirable results :)
>
>I plan to do something much simpler, and IMHO, much more appropriate.
>
>Install procmail to filter these messages and file them for possible
>future examination. Also reply with an auto-generated email that thanks
>the person for sending the message and notes that due to the large number
>of such machine generated email inquiries it is not possible for a human
>being to reply to each one but they are being examined for possible
>action.

For those that don't recall the first introduction of traceroute to the
user community, we had the same sort of initial flood of "Gee, look at that
route!" but on the whole as I recall there was a lot of cruft cleaned up in
the first few months of general availability of traceroute. And, of course,
traceroute had it's problems interpreting feedback at first. But after the
initial poking around and gee-whiz, traceroute settled down to become a
very useful tool for users as well as net-ops.

--Kent