RE: F means filtered ?

  • From: Tim Salo
  • Date: Mon Feb 17 14:13:26 1997

> From: Jim Fleming <[email protected]>
> Subject: RE: F means filtered ?
> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:58:07 -0600
> 	[...]
> Someone claimed that they could not access the public
> Root Name Server operated by Paul Vixie and supported
> by the U.S. Government and the National Science Foundation
> via the InterNIC by the inclusion of the address of that server
> in the root.cache file provided by the NSF/InterNIC.
>
> Paul Vixie, the sys admin, for that server replied that
> he could not see why this would be the case.
>
> I asked Paul if he ever filters people's traffic to that
> public Root Name Server. There has been no answer.
>
> In my opinion, the U.S. Government and the NSF need
> to investigate these matters. If that Root Name Server
> is no longer valid, the U.S. Government and the NSF
> should not be endorsing it. ISPs rely on the reliable,
> stable, secure Root Name Servers and they rely on
> the U.S. Government to provide them with information
> on which servers are reliable.

In my opinion, the U.S. Government and the NSF have far more important
things to do.  Many of these more important things will continue to
develop and strengthen the Internet infrastructure.

It is also worth noting that every U.S. Government or NSF research contract
I have read contains explicit language about the ideas generated through
the grant are not endorsed by the funding agency.

-tjs