New Root Name Servers

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Mon Feb 17 14:04:28 1997
  • Encoding: 40 TEXT

Issues involving the legacy Root Name Servers will
likely become a moot point.

Many people are in the process of deploying TRUE
Root Name Servers. As I am sure people noted, while
people were distracted with the IAHC process, the
IANA and Network Solutions, Inc. deployed new
TRUE Root Name Servers.

I believe they started with 2 new servers and now
have 4 that are operational. They do not respond
the same, but I am sure they will get the operational
kinks worked out soon.

They are "TRUE" because they do not also provide
Top Level Domain services for .COM, .NET, etc.
The legacy Root Name Servers are a hodge podge
in this regard because they are largely run by
volunteers.

The legacy Root Name Servers appear to be
evolving to become TLD-only servers for the
various TLDs handled by the NSF/InterNIC.

Fortunately, the U.S. Government is taking the
advice of the various groups advocating new Top
Level Domains and they are helping to deploy
TRUE Root Name Servers. Part of this is being
funded by the InterNIC domain taxes. Therefore,
some of the issues surrounding legacy Root
Name Servers will likely be moot...

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation