Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: David R. Conrad
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 01:49:52 1996

[CC's edited]

Hi,

Just because I like stiring up trouble (and I personally disagree with
the policy), I would note that:

>If anyone doesn't think I'm completely serious about selling off
>my old allocations and renumber into more effecient space, just
>ask.  All of the address space I've received from the Internic
>has been allocated to me under the policies existing at that time.

is officially proscribed behavior.  The underutilized address space
should be returned to the allocating registry (for the good of the
Internet) to be re-allocated to organizations demonstrating justified
need for the address space.  To quote from the current draft:

7.    The transfer of IP addresses from one party to another must be
      approved by the regional registries.  The party trying to obtain
      the IP address must meet the same criteria as if they were
      requesting an IP address directly from the IR.

I'll not comment further...

Regards,
-drc