Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

  • From: David R. Conrad
  • Date: Thu Mar 14 01:30:52 1996

[CC's edited]

>How much attention is paid to how blocks are being used...???

ISPs must now show 75-80% utilization of existing address space
prior to allocation of new address space.

>Why doesn't the Internic require that Class A delegates, use those
>addresses rather than addresses from other parts of the spectrum...???

To my knowledge they do.  Note that this is a relatively recent policy
shift.  I do know ISPs with class As have been refused new allocations
until they can dmonstrate they have utilized 70-80% of their class A,
however it is easy to hide that you are from an organization with
existing space.

>For example, why are name servers allowed in 192 and 204...as shown
>below...???  It would be easy for the Internic to have a policy that
>does not allow the foll owing...

There are many such examples (IBM, PSI, BBN, etc).  However, I do
not believe there have been new allocations to these organizations
in the recent past.

>Should companies be given recognition for "Internet Ecology" efforts...???
>Hewlett-Packard Company (NET-HP-INTERNET)

You are basing too much on what companies use for their DNS.  HP has
lots of other address space as well.

Regards,
-drc