Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations

  • From: Tim Bass (from cais.com)
  • Date: Fri Jan 26 22:52:51 1996

> This is great, I feel like one of the in crowd - getting slammed by
> Tim Bass :-)

Consider it your lucky day :-)

Did you find a four leaf clover after the snow melted, or find a lucky
horse-shoe in the fields today?

Seriously,

There are better ways to promote CIDR hierarchical routing without
the " they don't care about the Internet" rhetoric, and to ask you not
to resort to it is not a "slam", sorry to make you feel that way.

(and BTW, it is not the first time the request has been made...)

There are at least five hierarchical routing architectures that are
not CIDR based that would greatly reduce the administrative problems
the InterNIC and RIPE (and the rest of the world) if they were not
tabled in favor of the current path we walk.

Okay, granted, we walk the CIDR path today. Fine, CIDR has done a good
job putting a band-aid on a flying elephant, we all agree.  What is
hard to understand is why men and women with intelligent brains believe
that there is only ' one way, one religion' to do hierarchical routing.

Why try to convince the world that there is?

Interesting enough, after spending days and days in the journal archives
most major journals and finding only one author's name that
is a part of these discussions in any peer reviewed publication,
is very enlightening.

I am quite sure that the most vocal advocates of CIDR have read very little
historical documents outside of the  IETF RFCs.  I highly recommend some
time spent in review of the principals of hierarchical routing; graph
theory; queuing systems; dynamic programming and others as well as the
marginalia of journal articles on the subject.

For those who do, I will be very surprised to learn that the "emotional
plea for CIDR or die" remains at their fingertips; and phrases like
" he or she does not care about the Internet....".

Question:

What did those in the Dark Middle Ages do when branded
a heretic by the religious zealots ?

Answer:

Most of them were put to the flame and ridiculed.

Very truly yours,

Tim

| Tim Bass                           |                                   |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer |  "Every decoding is another       |
| The Silk Road Group, Ltd.          |                     encoding.."   |
| http://www.silkroad.com/           |                 David Lodge       |