Re: What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

  • From: Andy Davidson
  • Date: Sat Dec 27 15:00:12 2008

On 27 Dec 2008, at 05:59, JF Mezei wrote:

The problem with oursourced first level support is that they are totally disconnected from real time operations and wouldn't be aware of problems that network engineers are currently working on.

That's a problem with a lot of internal first line teams too..

Offshore and outsource are different things, and when done right are irrelevant to the quality of service delivered. A willingness to offshore means you can deliver follow-the-sun NOC or support service, which can drive down delivery costs and health/safety risks for the organisation and drive up service quality by meaning that callers reach someone alert and awake ;-). Outsourcing offshore service makes it cheap and easy to do that.

Doing this well relies on building a process, and actually a different process for each network being supported, though I don't want to give away all the hints that I learned the hard way !

Andy