Re: What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

  • From: William Warren
  • Date: Thu Dec 25 09:44:55 2008

Matthew Black wrote:
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:10:33 -0800
 Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
Matthew Black wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:51:41 -0800
 "Tomas L. Byrnes" <[email protected]> wrote:

Cox Communications has fully on-shore support. Here in SD they are
actually LOCAL.

In Verizon land, residential customers do not have
CLEC voice or DSL alternatives. We do not have Cox.
Our area is served by Charter Communications who has
the broadband cable monopoly. Verizon has the fiber
monopoly with their FIOS. AT&T fiber is not possible
in Verizon land. Nobody competes against Verizon for
residential service in Southern California.

Sir, both COVAD and DSLExtreme beg to differ. Seriously. I just checked.

--
The histories of mankind are histories only of the higher classes.

Thomas Malthus

Going through COVAD's interactive DSL chooser,
there are no options for RESIDENTIAL service.

<http://covad.com/web/index.html>

DSLextreme is charging a higher price than Verizon and I suspect they are simply reselling Verizon's DSL rather than connecting my copper to their network. That's hardly what I consider CLEC service. I could be wrong and would switch if I could. But I don't see them offering voice and that's why I conclude they are reselling Verizon's DSL service.

matthew black
california state university, long beach

voice on landline? drop it..go cellular. I'm totally verizon free. Comcast does my internet and tv and sprint does my three business lines.