Re: What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

  • From: Seth Mattinen
  • Date: Wed Dec 24 15:43:30 2008

Matthew Black wrote:

Going through COVAD's interactive DSL chooser,
there are no options for RESIDENTIAL service.

<http://covad.com/web/index.html>

DSLextreme is charging a higher price than Verizon and I suspect they are simply reselling Verizon's DSL rather than connecting my copper to their network. That's hardly what I consider CLEC service. I could be wrong and would switch if I could. But I don't see them offering voice and that's why I conclude they are reselling Verizon's DSL service.

You get what you pay for (most of the time).

Most locals do resell the ILEC service. However, they have more access to the ILEC than you do (bigger customer and all that), and they take over at layer 2. If you think you'll get worse service from a local ISP because they aren't a CLEC, you'd be dead wrong.

~Seth