Re: What is the most standard subnet length on internet

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Mon Dec 22 20:34:47 2008

On 23/12/2008, at 2:24 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
Nathan Ward wrote:
On 23/12/2008, at 1:31 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
Anyone running a platform that can't take a full table would apply such a filter to weed out anyone who likes to announce all of their space as /24's for "traffic engineering". If one does that and doesn't announce the aggregate as well, one could find themselves facing random black holes.
People are filtering /24s without a 0/0 route?

I was just referring to LIR boundaries, but yes, I've seen it happen where someone splits their /22 into only /24s and doesn't announce the covering /22.

Yes, it happens all the time.

Let me rephrase; Are there people who are filtering /24s received from eBGP peers who do not have a default route?

I mean the networks who receive those prefixes, not the ones who advertise them.

--
Nathan Ward