Re: Managing CE eBGP details & common/accepted CE-facing BGP practices

  • From: Justin Shore
  • Date: Sat Dec 20 22:01:32 2008

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
Heck, you could store all that in Rancid .. even cvs/svn

I should have said it earlier when I mentioned config backups. I'm already a heavy user of RANCID, archiving my configs hourly. Been using it since right around v2.0-2.1 which would be several years ago (feels like a lifetime). So my config backups are more than taken care of. What I'm interested in is if I should also document the PE-CE BGP config details elsewhere or if I should just leave them in the PE and let my backups cover me.

Part of what's driving this is my desire to create a book of templates for our assorted product offerings that covers both PEs and CEs. Eventually I won't be able to handle everything myself and staff will have to be added. Eventually we'll have to separate operations, engineering, security and maybe even install/turnup tasks. I'd like there to be a solid practices established and documented in a solutions bible of sorts before that happens. My brain can only store so much info and I can only do so much in a day. Plus having all these details ironed out sooner rather than later, and documented, will help keep me honest (ie, no band-aides that I plan on removing when I get time <g>). The other added benefit is that as I figure out how to do something rather fancy or in a simple and elegant manner I can document it for my own benefit and others.

So back to the original topics, does anyone have suggestions for CE-facing BGP config or the management and documentation of the CE details? I'm experimenting with peer-policy and peer-session templates right now. I'm sure with dozens or hundreds of peers their benefits would be more evident. So far they only seem to reduce my default-only test peers by 3 lines of config each. I'm sure this would be more saved lines of config if I was doing something more fancy.

Thanks for the input
 Justin