Re: Gigabit Linux Routers

  • From: Ingo Flaschberger
  • Date: Fri Dec 19 21:05:09 2008

Dear Joe,

I did that experiment below.  I didn't grab snapshots of the routing table
at the time, but I described the effect.  Essentially, upon downing of the
interface, the local link via the vlan20 interface went away, and was
promptly replaced by the OSPF route (generally good/desirable).  Further
discussion was in my previous message.

I'm not shure if this setup would ever be "stable". also with ucarp tweaks. hopefully freebsd supports soon more than 1 route.

only carp-int has the ip's.

Really? Interesting. I'm trying to think of how that would be configured. How does the system identify which ethernet interface to use, or is this something that's specific to Linux?

I'm not shure how I have configured that (~6months ago). Now with ucarp I use a /32 for the interfaces as ip and the virtual ip is added as an alias.

I'm aware of the Quagga OSPF issues, having grinched about them a number
of times in various places.  For what it is worth, there's a patch that
appears to work, but which was thought to not really be a "correct" fix.
Several people, including us, however, are using it with apparent success.

As far I remember, freebsd changed the multicast-interface to linux-style. Source code seems to be already there, only makefile needs to be changed, to support freebsd <7 and 7.

Kind regards,
	Ingo Flaschberger