Re: What is the most standard subnet length on internet

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Fri Dec 19 11:56:48 2008

related past threads]

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:53:48AM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:
[snip]
> More likely that someone would filter based on the longest assignment
> made in a particular /8 (e.g. in 202/7, 199/8 we might expect to see /
> 24s, in 76/8 not so much, etc).

This matches my past experience, and it is often the case that an
entity is slow to revist specific /8s when RIR policies change...

[snip]
> It'd be nice if some grad student somewhere with friends in the
> operations community was to experiment with /24s carved out of larger
> blocks from all over the planet and present some empirical data.

We do know that filters come and filters go, and the policies most
likely reflect who can afford what level of RIB storage across how
large a DFZ folks maintain within their own ASN.  I wonder if like
hemlines, RIB storage capacity is an indirect economic indicator...

In lieu of detailed data reporting, being as conservative as you can
about contributing to the mess while being liberal as you can [fit
into your budget cycles] in receiving the mess is a long-honoured,
functional ops stance. :-)

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE