Re: Gigabit Linux Routers

  • From: Jeroen Wunnink
  • Date: Thu Dec 18 04:13:15 2008

This might be of some use, it's a document written by one of the AMS-IX engineers, it's a little aged (almost 2 years old) so there should be some improvement in the numbers, but it might give you some insight in the bottlenecks when pushing a Linux server to it's max (10Gigabit in this case)

http://noc.easycolocate.nl/10-GE_Routing_on_Linux.pdf

David Coulson wrote:
The boxes (3650s) came with Broadcom BCM5708 on-board, but I push most of my traffic over these:

1c:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter
Memory at c7ea0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Memory at c7e80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
I/O ports at 6020 [size=32]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

There are four Intel ports in the boxes, so traffic may or may not stay on the same PCI-X card depending how things are flowing.

Chris wrote:
David: May I ask which NICs you use in the IBM boxes ? I see the Intels
recommended by Mike have dual ports on one board (the docs say "Two complete
Gigabit Ethernet connections in a single device • Lower latency due to one
electrical load on the bus").

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jeroen Wunnink,
EasyHosting B.V. Systeembeheerder
[email protected]

telefoon:+31 (035) 6285455              Postbus 48
fax: +31 (035) 6838242                  3755 ZG Eemnes

http://www.easyhosting.nl
http://www.easycolocate.nl