Re: Gigabit Linux Routers

  • From: Eugeniu Patrascu
  • Date: Wed Dec 17 12:33:58 2008

Chris wrote:

Eugeniu: That's very useful. The Intel dual port NICs mentioned aren't any good then I presume (please see my comment to David).

Actually it depends on the motherboard chipset. Some chipsets allocate an interrupt per slot, and when you have lot's a traffic between two ports on a dual port card the will increase dramatically, but should get you at 1Gbps, at higer speeds... depends.

It's adviseable to use a 2.6 kernel as the network stack, compared to 2.4, is way better and you can achieve higher speeds.