Re: Gigabit Linux Routers

  • From: Alex Thurlow
  • Date: Wed Dec 17 11:33:21 2008

Just as another source of info here, I'm running:

Dual Core Intel Xeon 3060 @ 2.4Ghz
2 Gb Ram (it says "Mem:   2059280k total,  1258500k used,   800780k
free,   278004k buffers" right now)
2 of these on the motherboard: Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation
82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06) (port-channel bonded to my
switch)
One other card with 2 ports: Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation
82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 03)
Gentoo Linux with a fairly small kernel with FIB_TRIE enabled.

I'm taking in 2 full BGP feeds, a decent amount of iptables rules, and
I've hit 1.2 Gbps with no problems.  At this point, I just don't have
anything behind the router to push more than that.

-- Alex Thurlow Blastro Networks

http://www.blastro.com
http://www.roxwel.com
http://www.yallwire.com