Re: Security Intelligence [Was: Re: Netblock reassigned from Chile to US ISP...]

  • From: Christopher Morrow
  • Date: Sun Dec 14 21:28:53 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Gadi Evron <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 05:51:13PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
>>>
>>> but you need to be much more specific about what you want from
>>> medium and smaller isps, and what the immediate payoffs (cf. the
>>> financial secions of the newpaper) will be to them to justify the costs.
>>
>> Inferior people look solely for financial payoff.  Superior people
>> recognize their fundamental obligation to prevent their operation from
>> being a menace to others, and do it based on ethics.
>
> They don't need t be moral, they need to understand 4 years down the line it
> will cost them significantly to the point of losing a lot of business. A
> good example is registrars. They lose quite a bit now.

do they lose 'quite a bit' now? how much is 'quite a bit'? and is that
more or less than they take home at the end of the day?

I'm curious because near as I can tell there doesn't seem to be really
any change in how registrars handle transactions... even domains
knowingly bought with stolen credit cards seem to hang around (and
change) long after the CC company frauded out the transaction(s)...

If there really was a large loss, wouldn't they make changes to
process/procedures/activities to limit their exposure?

-chris