Re: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: mike
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 12:26:13 2008

For my own $0.02 worth, I would like to point out the kind of engineering that was done during the days of Ma Bell - when it was THE phone company, and had the world in it's pocket - was quite spectacular and resulted in telecommunications systems that largely stood up and continued functioning despite the worst that could be thrown at it. But today, in our competitive (ahem) marketplace, the kinds of resources that made this level of engineering possible on such a wide scale, are no longer economically possible and is only infrequently done. Besides, most people readily accept failure. Except when it hurts them, that is, and then only after the fact is any kind of examination done and possibly steps taken to address the risk. But until then, people want cheap and that's the only selling point that matters. So your cable voip works until it doesn't, and nobody is responsible to you for it not working when you needed it to..... at least it was cheap....