Re: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 12:09:08 2008

Joe Abley wrote:
This is straying far from network operations, but I think 911 generally engenders an unnecessary degree of hysteria. As I suggested before, the marketing of this fear from certain quarters has apparently been quiet effective.

Many will agree with you; unless 911 saved their life. Of course, we could let those people die, I guess.

The probability of any single individual needing to call 911 is already minute. The probably that all available cell and VoIP services also won't work precisely at the moment that a 911 call needs to be made is even smaller.

911 services are heavily used when a geographical area has an emergency, and that emergency usually includes not having power.

You're probably more likely to accidentally brutally stab yourself in the neck whilst combing your hair.

Unless you live in a natural disaster prone location. Or if your grandmother's alert bracelet requires a phone line for notification.

A sense of perspective in these things can be useful, in my opinion. Cries of "but think of the children!" are merely entertaining, in my opinion.

I agree. Think of the elderly! Think of the "This is where my neighborhood used to be." And not to leave the more stable big cities out, think of the looting and pillaging!

That said, I'd keep POTS and Cell available. I don't believe in single homing. ;)

Jack