Re: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 11:58:24 2008

Paul Bosworth wrote:
On a personal note, when I worked in telecom I never once saw a cell tower
that was down due to power loss. Every tower I have worked with had some
form of power generation, be it natural gas or diesel. In addition, as a
cellular service consumer I have also never experienced an outage due to
cellular tower power loss.

The nasty Oklahoma outage a few years ago wiped out cellular big time. In some cases it was due to power loss, in others it was loss of the backend fiber/T1's feeding it. I know one town that lost every service except for POTS, though it didn't help much since people were living elsewhere to stay warm.

Of course, life gets fun in rural America.

Jack