Re: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 11:56:23 2008

On 2008-12-04, at 11:06, Chris Marlatt wrote:

That's assuming they're not doing the same thing you are, are home, or
are willing to let you borrow their phone. You're assuming a lot. I find
it surprising that many people replying haven't kept a 911 only POTS line.

This is straying far from network operations, but I think 911 generally engenders an unnecessary degree of hysteria. As I suggested before, the marketing of this fear from certain quarters has apparently been quiet effective.

The probability of any single individual needing to call 911 is already minute. The probably that all available cell and VoIP services also won't work precisely at the moment that a 911 call needs to be made is even smaller.

You're probably more likely to accidentally brutally stab yourself in the neck whilst combing your hair.

A sense of perspective in these things can be useful, in my opinion. Cries of "but think of the children!" are merely entertaining, in my opinion.

Joe