Re: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Paul Bosworth
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 11:45:39 2008

Many proposed regulations are struck down before they become required
regulation. Just like the FCC mandates that POTS and fiber have guaranteed
battery, the FCC will mandate that cellular towers do the same. This is
inevitable. The telco industry is notorious for litigating to death anything
that will require an increase in operational expenses but inevitably when a
service is deemed to be critical to society it has to comply.

On a personal note, when I worked in telecom I never once saw a cell tower
that was down due to power loss. Every tower I have worked with had some
form of power generation, be it natural gas or diesel. In addition, as a
cellular service consumer I have also never experienced an outage due to
cellular tower power loss.

phb

What about the cell site?  See

--