RE: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Paul Stewart
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 10:43:19 2008

Well put Joe...

I haven't had a landline in quite a bit neither and rely on VOIP today.
This doesn't mean that it's never gone down but for the few times it
ever has it has never worried me.

There's at least two cell phones in our house whenever the family is
home and I have neighbors within quick walking distance.

What worries me the most is a power outage longer than say 8 hours.
This is the typical battery time at most cell sites, telco remotes and
many telco CO's.  Beyond those 8 hours, it's quite probable that the
site will go down and you'll have no cell or landline anyways.  This is
purely geographically related as the larger centers have generators
attached - one could argue that portable generators would be used to
keep these battery sites up but in a large scale outage lasting more
than 8 hours I don't know a company out there that has enough portable
generators to keep ALL their sites up.

Have I seen my cell go down in a power outage? Yes
Have I seen my landline go down in a power outage when I had them? Yes

Take care,

Paul