Re: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 10:33:47 2008

On 2008-12-04, at 09:47, Josh Potter wrote:

I believe there is a law that requires just that, even if you don't have an
active service plan the phone must still be able to access 911.

With GSM phones you don't even need a SIM in the phone to call 911 (and equivalent numbers in other regions).

I have two children at home, and I haven't had dial-tone on copper for years. I don't lose any sleep over it; that's just one of a thousand highly-improbable disasters that could happen, albeit one that apparently enjoys better marketing than some.

If I *was* concerned, I think I'd buy a cheap GSM handset with no SIM and leave it chained somewhere the kids could find, plugged in.

I seem to remember when I *did* have dial-tone from Bell Canada I'd pick up the handset and get dead air a disturbing proportion of the time. The idea that copper wire-line providers are the only ones who can provide stable telephony doesn't ring true, for me. There's a reason why the five nines don't include the last mile.

Joe