RE: Telecom Collapse?

  • From: Russell J. Lahti
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 07:47:23 2008

That is the one and only thing keeping a land line at my home.  I
have two young children, and I need to be sure that if something
were to ever happen that: 1.) The phone would work even if the
power was out, or the Internet connectivity was flaking out.
2.) 911 would function exactly the way it is supposed to, and
not be routed to some 3rd party call center which could potentially
delay a response.

I haven't found the power to be reliable, and the cable Internet
tends to go down when the power goes out.  There's always cellular,
but then you have to depend on there being someone with a cell phone
around to make the call, and my kids aren't to the age yet that I
would want them toting around their own cell phones.  As long as
my POTS line is more reliable than VoIP, I'll probably keep it.

-Russell